Please note javascript is required for full website functionality.


14 June, 2021

Gutsy Cutters go down to Seagulls

A GUTSY effort from the Mackay Cutters at BB Print Stadium over the weekend was not enough to stop the Tweed Heads Seagulls from cementing their push for a top-four spot in the Intrust Super Cup competition.

By John Bartley

Tweed's gritty 24-16 victory over the Cutters didn't reflect the fact that the hosts seemed the better of the two sides for the majority of the contest.

Cutters even led at half-time, but despite an improved showing in defensive resiliency and an urgency in attack, Tweed Heads were able to prevail in what proved to be another frustrating outing for Mackay. 

Tweed Heads opened the game with their backs against the wall with the Cutters earning repeat sets to no avail. Their resilience was rewarded a short time later when centre Treymain Spry found space on an overlap down the left flank and scooted 60 metres to score. 

The Cutters would answer back through Matiu Stone-Dunn who latched onto an offload close to the line, and would not be stopped as the resulting shot at goal levelled the scores at six. 

The hosts would extend their lead midway through the half off the back of a penalty, skipper Ross Bella charging onto the ball off a crash play and giving the home side a converted try advantage at half-time. 

Unfortunately, Mackay would shoot themselves in the foot coming out of the main break, dropping the ball deep in their own territory and gifting Tweed Heads field position. 

Five-Eighth Will Brimson would need no second invitation, slicing through the Cutters defence off the back of the resulting scrum and scoring under the posts, the game levelled at 12-all. 

Tweed Heads would regain ascendency of the contest when Brimsom bagged his second try on the night, taking advantage of a short side overlap to scoot over on the left edge. 

An undefended 40/20 attempt saw Mackay on the back foot once more, Braden Robson storming over to give the visitors their biggest lead of the night. Mackay would cut back into the deficit as Tweed Heads' ill-discipline continued to haunt them, Jesse Dee powering over as the game entered the final 10 minutes. 

But the result would end with a late penalty goal from Lindon McGrath, the fullback slotting the kick and giving the Seagulls a crucial eight point buffer that they would defend until the fulltime siren. Mackay Prop Jack Brock lamented Mackay's lack of composure post-match.

“It was another frustrating one (tonight). They ran a few tries on us in that second half and that’s what cost us. “We played well enough to win, but at times tonight we went away from what we've been training and trying to fix. We work hard at training, and we're good at times in matches, but not when we need to be (in key moments). “We've been close all year, tight games with top teams, but we keep beating ourselves. (But) the good thing about footy is that there's always next week.”

Most Popular