10 June, 2021
Whitsunday community groups get a boost
COMMUNITY organisations in both Proserpine and Bowen are set to benefit from funding under the popular Stronger Communities Program, Federal MP George Christensen announced today.
Mr Christensen said an RSL club and a disability services provider were successful recipients from Round 6 of the program.
“The Stronger Communities Program provides small grants for not-for-profit groups and they enable these organisations to improve their facilities which then benefits everyone in the community they serve,” Mr Christensen said.
“We have had so many worthy applications, including that from the Proserpine RSL who need to undertake a kitchen upgrade. This then gives the club a source of income so they can better support returned servicemen and women, as well as the wider community.
“Bowen Flexi Care will also be able to provide a better service for their clients as they will invest in the purchase and installation of two vehicle wheelchair hoists, and also get Emergency Evacuation kits.”
Whitsunday & Bowen recipients:
- Proserpine RSL – to upgrade their kitchen - $20,000
- Bowen Flexicare – purchase a wheelchair hoist – $17,954
Other recipients across the electorate are:
- Carinya Rehabilitation Centre (emergency accommodation provider) – Upgrade of cottages and vehicle purchase - $18,000
- Mackay Children’s Contact Service – Replace flooring at facility - $10,000
- MAD Mountain Bike Club – Data communication equipment - $12,500
- Broken Ballerina – Audio-visual equipment - $9,111
- Calen & District War Memorial Hall – install air-conditioning - $10,405
- Heartkids Ltd – IT upgrade - $4,400
- Lower Burdekin Skiing Club – upgrade change rooms – $11,484
- Community Radio 97.1 Sweet FM – fit out broadcast vehicle – 7,145
- Old Boys Thai Boxing Townsville – purchase equipment – $14.000
The Stronger Communities Programme provides funding of up to $20,000 for eligible organisations, with a total of $150,000 available for projects in the electorate in Round 6. For more details go tobusiness.gov.au/grants-and-programs/stronger-communities-programme