23 March, 2021
Top 10 things to do around the region
The school holidays are around the corner and there is plenty to do around the Mackay region.
1) Pioneer Bonsai Mackay workshops Sunday, March 28, 1pm – 4pm Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens Join Pioneer Bonsai Mackay for their next workshop at the Botanic Gardens’ Meeting Room. Pioneer Bonsai Mackay is a group of like-minded people with a joint passion for the artistic field of bonsai. The group welcomes new members to learn or share their knowledge. Please note numbers are limited. To book your spot or further information, visit http://bit.ly/2OTH2i6.
2) Pets are part of our community too Tuesday, March 30, 3.30pm – 4.30pm Gordon White Library Has a pet recently joined your family? Are you looking at adopting a pet? Talk to the people in the know about tips and tricks to responsibly care for your pet. Discover the amazing resources available for you and your pet through this meet-and-greet with council’s Local Laws team and a furry friend… http://bit.ly/3lE0TOo.
3) Greater Whitsunday Farmers’ Market Wednesday, March 31, 7am to 11am Bluewater Quay Join the fresh local produce revolution and support our farmers by buying seasonal, local produce straight from the farmer. Want to know who will be selling at the markets each week? Head to the Greater Whitsunday Farmers’ Market Facebook page every Tuesday, where you will find all the details of markets stall and produce listed… http://bit.ly/369yDth.
4) Let’s Do Lunch! Wednesday, March 31, 9.30am – 11.30am The Neighbour Hub, 43 Shakespeare Street, East Mackay Parents and carers of under 5s are invited to come and have lunch, catch up with other parents and enjoy a few hours together while the kids are in childcare next door. Childcare is free and lunch is $10. Bring a friend or meet a new one... http://bit.ly/2QnUlaR
5) Ukulele and Guitar Rescue Thursday, April 1, 10.30am – 11.30am Gordon White Library Do you have a ukulele or guitar that does not stay in tune or is missing a string? No matter what the problem with your stringed buddy, bring it to the library for the free Ukulele and Guitar Rescue program. We will tune, tweak, repair or provide assessment as appropriate... http://bit.ly/31492SC.
6) Shaun the Sheep’s Circus Show Friday, April 2, 10am and 6pm Saturday, April 3, 10am The MECC The internationally-acclaimed Australian circus ensemble Circa and Academy Award® winning studio Aardman, bring Shaun the Sheep to the stage. It combines the extreme physicality and awe-inspiring feats of Circa and the playful charm of the multi-award winning TV series Shaun the Sheep. Shaun the Sheep Circus Show is must-see family entertainment full of heart- warming comedy delights. Recommended for ages 3+. Book here: https://bit.ly/3jqnxZg.
7) Bocce with a buddy Monday to Fridays, 9am – 5pm Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens Meeting friends at the gardens? Why not hire a bocce set and enjoy a game of bocce or croquet with a friend on the sand court in the Malta Garden. Bocce sets are available to hire from the Gardens Administration for $5, with a $50 cash only deposit…http://bit.ly/3tII5jD.
8) Botanic Gardens Captured From now until March 28 Lagoons Gallery, Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens Café The second exhibition from the Botanic Gardens Photo Walkabout Group, showcasing garden activity from camera enthusiasts ranging from beginners to advanced photographers using cameras on smart phones to DSLR. This exhibition is found in the Lagoons Gallery within the Botanic Gardens Café. The café is open Tuesdays, 9am to 1pm, Wednesday to Friday 9am to 2pm and weekends 8am to 4pm… http://bit.ly/3r4p6z8
9) Tony Druery: Horizons Until May 16 Foyer Gallery, Artspace Mackay Tony Druery (1964 - 2016) was an artist and educator in the Mackay community, creating images that spoke to his love of the water, the Australian outback and scenes closer to home. His dynamic fish-eye views of Mackay’s construction boom in the late 2000s capture a rapidly changing cityscape at an important time in the town’s recent history.
10) Dylan Mooney: The Wall Until May 12 Foyer Gallery, Artspace Mackay The Wall is an artist-in-residence exhibition program offering Australian artists the opportunity to create site-specific artwork directly onto the gallery’s foyer wall. Now in its sixth iteration, Artspace Mackay hosts Mackay-raised Dylan Mooney, an emerging Yuwi, Torres Strait Islander, and Australian South Sea Islander artist. Mooney’s practice includes prints and drawings inspired by First Nations history, culture, and personal ancestry. Mooney’s residency will include archival research and learning on Country about traditional Yuwi shield-making and other material cultures of the region’s First Peoples.
Circa’s Peepshow Friday, April 9 and Saturday, April 10, 7.30pm The MECC Circa’s Peepshow turns cabaret on its head as it lurches from the thrillingly acrobatic to the comically playful. The show combines some of the finest acrobatic talent on the planet under the direction of circus visionary Yaron Lifschitz. Come to Circa’s Peepshow and see the world from the other side of the mirror… http://bit.ly/2Qt4svd
Mayor’s Charity Golf Day 2021 Friday, May 14 at 8am Mackay Golf Club The inaugural Mayor’s Charity Golf Day is run by the Rotary Club of Mackay and supported by Mackay Regional Council. The event is expected to attract 144 players for a day of 18-hole golf, fun activities at each hole, team challenges throughout the day and a presentation function. Find out more… http://bit.ly/3eYHMNz